Monday, October 22, 2012

Cranberry Walnut Oatmeal: The Perfect Autumn Breakfast

Since I am a homeschooling stay at home mom, I try to provide a as healthy as possible breakfast for my kids. I try to avoid pre-packaged stuff whenever possible... well, mostly. We still enjoy a bowl of cold cereal about once or twice a week, but I digress.

Oatmeal is one of my go-to breakfast options for the kids. Now my 5 year old is super picky, but fortunately, as he's getting older he is a little bit more adventurous with his food. I asked him if it was okay for me to put cranberries in our oatmeal this morning and he said it was okay. I was shocked! As I am typing this, he's saying, "Mmmm! This is good!" I kid you not! So here is my five year old boy approved oatmeal recipe.


Cranberry Walnut Oatmeal
Serves 3-4


What you need:
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 heaping cup of old-fashioned oats
  • 1/4-1/2 cup dried cranberries (you can substitute with raisins if you want)
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (you can substitute with pecans if you want)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • a sprinkle of cinnamon and allspice
  • 1-2 Tablespoons ground flax seed (optional... this adds extra fiber and protein)
  • milk (optional)
Salt and boil the water. Stir in the oats, cranberries, and spices. Reduce the heat to medium. Slowly keep stirring until it starts getting a little thick. Stir in the brown sugar, walnuts, and flax seed. Turn off the heat. If you like your oatmeal a little more creamy you can add in milk as desired, but personally, we don't use it. Serve while hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment