Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Moroccan Vegetable Couscous

I discovered this recipe by accident, thumbing through one of my aunt's random cookbooks. I am really adventurous with food and cooking, so I decided to try it. I absolutely loved it, and I now make it at least once a week. I made a few modifications based on what I had on hand, and this is what I came up with. It is super healthy, and only takes about 20 minutes to make.

Moroccan Vegetable Couscous


What You Will Need:
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
  • 1-2 carrots, thinly sliced or chopped
  • 1/2 zucchini, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups finely shredded cabbage
  • 1/2 tomato, finely chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 2 tablespoons dried parsley, OR 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 3/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
  • 2/3 cup quick cooking couscous
First, saute the onion, carrots, green pepper, and zucchini in about a tablespoon of olive oil or butter for about 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Add the cabbage, tomato, spices, and stock. Stir, lower heat, and cover. Let simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the couscous. Cover and let it sit for about five minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve!

2 comments:

  1. That looks so good! Will totally try making it sometime soon, especially since my family is mostly vegetarian :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you enjoy it! Aside from the time that it takes to cut the vegetables it's quick and simple to make.

      Delete